Avocado Pasta with Asparagus and Peas
Avocado Pasta with Asparagus and PeasCourse: Main CourseCuisine: American
8 ounces whole wheat pasta
1 pound asparagus, tough ends trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
1 medium ripe avocado, halved and peeled with the pit removed
1 clove garlic, peeled
1/4 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
4 small green onions, thinly sliced (about 1/2 cup)
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus additional for cooking the pasta
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 cup frozen peas
2 cups fresh arugula
1/4 cup fresh parsley leaves, plus additional for garnish
1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, plus additional for garnish
Freshly grated Parmesan, optional for serving
- Cooking pasta according to package instructions. Add the asparagus and cook an additional 3 minutes, or until the pasta is al dente. Reserve 1 cup pasta water, drain the pasta. Set aside.
- While the pasta cooks, prepare the sauce. Add the avocado, garlic, Greek yogurt, parsley, basil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper to a food processor or blender. Process on high for 20 – 30 seconds, until smooth, stopping to scrape down the bowl as needed.
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium low. Add the green onion and cook 2 to 3 minutes, until soft.
- Add the arugula and peas and cook another 2 minutes, until the arugula is wilted.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the drained pasta and asparagus.
- Add the avocado sauce and toss gently to combine, adding a bit of the reserved pasta water as needed if the pasta is too thick or clumping together.
- Taste and add additional salt and/or pepper as desired.