Cajun Chicken and Sausage Pasta in Creamy Parmesan Sauce
Cajun Chicken and Sausage Pasta in Creamy Parmesan SauceCourse: Main CourseCuisine: American
6 oz. smoked sausage, sliced into 1/4 inch pieces
1 lb. chicken breasts
8 oz. baby Bella mushrooms, sliced
3 Tbsp butter, unsalted and divided
Cajun seasoning, to taste
Italian seasoning, to taste
Salt and pepper to taste
- Creamy Parmesan Sauce
3/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1 cup chicken broth, sodium free
1 cup heavy cream
2 tsp Cajun seasoning
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp Paprika
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
sea salt, to taste
8 oz. penne pasta
- Boil pasta in salty water according to the package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Chicken, sausage and mushrooms
- Generously season chicken with salt, pepper, Cajun and Italian seasonings. Slice sausage into 1/4 inch circles and slice mushrooms.
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, add 1 tbsp butter and melt. When the pan is hot, add whole chicken breasts, cook for about 4-5 minutes on each side, until browned. Remove chicken onto a plate and slice into strips.
- Add sliced sausage pieces and brown them on medium heat, for 2-3 minutes on each side, until darker in color around the edges. Remove from the skillet onto a plate.
- Deglaze the pan with a splash of water and add 2nd tbsp of butter and sliced mushrooms into the skillet. Sauté until mushrooms is moist, and dark. Once cooked, remove them from the pan.
- Add remaining 1 tbsp butter to the pan, melt. Add garlic, until slightly browned.
- Add chicken broth, Worcestershire sauce and heavy cream and bring to a light simmer.
- Add Cajun seasoning, paprika and garlic powder and mix into the sauce.
- Add Parmesan cheese and whisk to blend, for about 2-3 minutes to thicken the sauce. Taste the sauce and add salt to taste.
- Add cooked pasta into the sauce and mix in well. Add the chicken, sausage and mushrooms back into the pan and allow them to reheat for 2-3 minutes. Close the lid to help the heat stay in.