Cauliflower Cheese Soup
Cauliflower Cheese SoupCourse: SoupCuisine: American
4 slices bacon, diced
4 cups low sodium chicken broth ( or vegetable broth, bone broth, beef broth, etc…)
3 tablespoons butter, divided
1 yellow onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 to 3 large carrots, cut into 1/8-inch rounds
1 head (about 1 to 1.5 pounds) cauliflower cut up into florets
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup heavy cream
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- For Garnish
1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese, optional
1 teaspoon dried chives, optional
- In a Dutch oven or large soup pot over medium-high heat, add 1 tablespoon butter and diced bacon, cook for 2 minutes, until bacon is crispy.
- Remove bacon from the pot, set aside.
- Add remaining butter to the bacon fat in the pot and melt.
- Stir in onions and carrots, cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in cauliflower florets, garlic, thyme, chili powder, and parsley.
- Season with salt and pepper and cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and stir in the heavy cream, simmer for 12 – 15 minutes, until veggies are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Puree with an immersion blender or working in batches, puree in a blender machine; blend until creamy and smooth.
- Pour blended soup back into the soup pot; increase heat to medium, add shredded cheddar cheese and nutmeg, then stir until melted.
- Taste for seasonings and adjust accordingly.
- Remove from heat.
- Garnish with previously prepared bacon, shredded cheddar cheese, if using, and chives.