Creamy Mushroom Tortellini with Spinach
Creamy Mushroom Tortellini with SpinachCourse: Main Course, SauceCuisine: American, Italian
2 tbsp olive oil, divided
1 tbsp butter
1/2 cup dry white wine
12 ounces cheese tortellini
4 shallots, minced
1 cup vegetable broth
5 ounces fresh spinach, chopped
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
2 pounds mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
1 cup cream
salt + pepper, to taste
grated parmesan cheese, for serving
- In a large skillet over high heat, heat the olive oil. Once hot, add the sliced mushrooms in a single layer. Cook the mushrooms until they are lightly browned, for about 4 minutes on each side. Remove the mushrooms from the skillet and transfer to a clean plate. Repeat with the remaining sliced mushrooms and transfer to the plate with the other cooked mushrooms.
- Lower the heat to medium. Add the butter to the skillet and add the shallots. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Sauté for 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the minced garlic and thyme and sauté for 1 minute more.
- Add the white wine to the skillet and scrape up any brown bits stuck to the bottom of the skillet. Allow wine to come to a simmer. Add the vegetable stock and return to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 4-5 minutes or until the liquid reduces by half. Add the spinach to the pot and continue to cook until spinach is wilted and fully cooked.
- Slowly add the cream to the pot and stir to combine. Remove from heat. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Transfer cooked tortellini to the pot with the mushrooms and spinach and gently stir to combine. Serve with freshly grated parmesan cheese, if desired.