Creamy Shrimp and Scallop Bisque
- 5 Tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 6 cups of chicken broth
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) brick of cream cheese
- 2 teaspoons cooking sherry
- 2 pounds seafood, chopped (I used shrimp and bay scallops, chopped into bite size pieces)
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- Fresh parsley for garnish, if desired
- In a soup pot, melt butter over high heat.
- Add all vegetables and bay leaf. Cook until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add flour and cook for another couple minutes, stirring to combine.
- Add tomatoes, oregano and broth; stir to combine; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add sherry and cream cheese, stir and let cream cheese melt; reduce heat and simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf. Puree with emulsion blender.
- Return to stove; add in shrimp and scallops; continue to simmer for another couple minutes until seafood is cooked.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish with parsley, if desired.