Low-carb Eggplant Pizza
A low carb eggplant pizza recipe that uses sliced eggplant as the crust instead of a carb-heavy breaded crust. Tons of flavor and super simple to assemble, this recipe is vegetarian and vegan-friendly.
- 1 large eggplant
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2–1 cup no sugar added pizza sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 yellow onion, sliced
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach
- sea salt, to taste
- ground pepper, to taste
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup chopped fresh oregano
- crushed red pepper (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Slice the eggplant lengthwise, about 1/4-1/3 inches thick. Brush or rub a little olive oil on each side of the eggplant slices and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a baking stone. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place in oven for 7-10 minutes, or until eggplant is hot and starting to cook down.
Meanwhile grab a skillet, add 1/2 Tablespoon olive oil and sauté the garlic and onion until soft (about 3-4 minutes). Season with salt and pepper. Add pizza sauce and spinach to the skillet and cook for 1-2 additional minutes until mixture is warm and spinach has wilted.
- Remove the eggplant slices from the oven, top each with the onion and spinach mixture. Sprinkle with cheese and chopped oregano. Place in the oven for approximately 5 minutes, or until the cheese has melted. Serve immediately with more fresh oregano and crushed red pepper.