Sausage & Chicken Cajun Jambalaya
Sausage & Chicken Cajun JambalayaCourse: Main Course
1 ½ lbs. chicken cut into ½-inch pieces
4 ½ – 5 cups chicken broth
2 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
12 oz. andouille link sausage cut into ½-inch slices
1 ½ tsp. salt, divided
¾ tsp. pepper, divided
1 tsp. thyme, dried
1 tsp. basil, dried
¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce gluten free
1 cup celery, finely chopped
1 cup green bell pepper, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
15 oz. can diced tomatoes with juice
6 oz. can tomato paste
2 cups sweet onion, finely chopped
2 ½ cups long grain white rice, rinsed and drained
Fresh parsley, finely chopped
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, add 1 tablespoon oil, sausage, ½ tsp salt and ¼ tsp pepper. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add chicken and keep cooking over medium heat, for 8-10 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove sausage and chicken from the pot. Set aside.
- In the Dutch oven, drizzle another tablespoon of olive oil. And then add onion, celery and bell pepper. Cook for 6-8 minutes, or until vegetables are almost tender. Add garlic and sauté for an additional 2 minutes.
- Place chicken and sausage back into the pot.
- In a small bowl, combine remaining all ingredients: 1 teaspoon salt, ½ tsp pepper, thyme, basil and cayenne pepper. Toss to combine.
- Add seasoning mix, Worcestershire, tomato paste, and diced tomatoes to the meat and veggies. Stir to combine.
- Next, place rice and 4 ½ cup broth in the pot. Stir to completely combine. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Lower the heat, cover with a lid, and let jambalaya simmer for 30-40 minutes.
- Check on the jambalaya at 25 minutes and see if it needs additional liquid.
- Once rice is completely cooked, serve immediately with fresh parsley.