Tomato Tortellini Soup
Tomato Tortellini SoupCourse: SoupCuisine: American
2 tablespoons flour
2 dashes Italian seasoning
2 cups cheese tortellini
2 cups chicken broth or veggie broth
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 medium onion, chopped
1 (28 fluid ounce) can diced tomatoes with juices
1 (28 fluid ounce) can crushed tomatoes with juices
1 tablespoon (packed) brown sugar
1 cup heavy/whipping cream
1 tablespoon fresh basil chopped/torn (optional)
Salt and pepper, to taste
Freshly grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- Add the olive oil and butter to a soup pot over medium-high heat. Once the butter has melted, add the onion and sauté for 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and flour, and cook it for about a minute.
- Stir (or whisk) in the chicken broth until the flour has dissolved.
- Add the canned tomatoes, Italian seasoning, sugar, and cream to the pot. Increase the heat to high and bring it to a gentle boil.
- Once the soup is boiling, add the tortellini and reduce the heat to a simmer. Let it cook for 8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper as desired. If using the fresh basil, add it in a few minutes prior to serving. Serve soup with freshly grated parmesan over top if desired.