Irish Scallop Bisque
Irish Scallop BisqueCourse: DinnerCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
8 large sea scallops
3 stalks celery
2 medium carrots
3 tablespoons butter
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon tomato paste
1 cup dry white wine
1 qt pack seafood stock, approximately 1L
1 tsp dried thyme leaves, or 1 tbsp, fresh thyme leaves
1 cup half and half
1 large potato, diced
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
vegetable or refined coconut oil
salt and pepper
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt 3 tablespoons butter and sauté the onion, carrots, celery and potato. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add dry white wine and continue to cook for another 5 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste and cook for another couple of minutes. Slowly add seafood stock, bay leaves and thyme. Cover and gently simmer for 20 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, remove celery stalks, bay leaves and thyme and puree the mixture with a blender until smooth. Return the bisque to low heat, add half and half, stirring. Adjust salt and pepper. Cook for another 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a pan, heat olive oil until very hot but not smoking. Sear scallops about 2 minute on each side. Remove and set aside.
- Serve the bisque in bowls, adding scallops on top and sprinkle with some fresh chopped chives.
Can I make the soup ahead and reheat adding the Cooked scallops the day of?